After decades of proclaiming the Great Pyramid of Gizeh as “God’s Stone Witness” which verified its end times prophecies, the Watchtower reversed itself completely and denounced the Pyramid as “Satan’s Bible.”
In last week’s article, we saw that Pastor Russell, founder of what later became Jehovah’s Witnesses, taught as “an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A.D. 1914.” (The Time is at Hand (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. II, 1889, 1908 edition), pp. 98-99).
We saw also that he considered measurements of the main passageway of the Great Pyramid to verify this chronology. He cited as a proof text Isaiah 19:19-20: “In that day there shall be an altar to the Lord in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to the Lord. And it shall be for a sign and a witness unto the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt.”
Of course, although World War I begin in 1914, it did not result in the final overthrow of the world’s governments as Russell had predicted. Despite this prophetic failure, six years after Russell’s 1916 death, the Watchtower continued to claim that the Great Pyramid’s measurements, coupled with jubilee cycles mentioned in the Bible, verified the organization’s chronology beyond all doubt:
The chronology of present truth might be a mere happening if it were not for the repetition in the two great cycles of 1845 and 2520 years, which take it out of the realm of chance and into that of certainty (emphasis added). If there were only one or two corresponding dates in these cycles, they might possibly be mere coincidences, but where the agreements of dates and events come by the dozens, they cannot possibly be by chance, but must be by the design and plan of the only personal Being capable of such a plan—Jehovah himself; and the chronology must be right (emphasis original).
In the passages of the Great Pyramid of Gizeh the agreement of one or two measurements with the present-truth chronology might be accidental, but the correspondency of dozens of measurements proves that the same God designed both the pyramid and plan—and at the same time proves the correctness of the chronology.
The agreement of the chronology with certain measurements of the Tabernacle and the Temple of Ezekiel further stamps the chronology as true.
It is on the basis of such and so many correspondencies—in accordance with the soundest laws known to science—that we affirm that, Scripturally, scientifically, and historically, present-truth chronology is correct beyond a doubt (emphasis original) (The Watchtower, 6/15/22, p. 187).
In your discussions with Jehovah’s Witnesses, you can show them these quotations and ask them to research Watchtower literature to verify their authenticity. You can then follow up by asking them:
- How would you sum up what the Watchtower wanted its followers to believe about the Great Pyramid of Gizeh?
- How convinced were the Watchtower writers at this point that the pyramid measurements proved that their chronology came from God?
The great reversal
After years of telling its followers that the Great Pyramid was both designed by God and proof of the organization’s chronology, in 1928, the Watchtower denounced the pyramid as vain philosophy and false science!
Is it not passing strange that if God intended his church to be taught by the measurements of a pile of stone neither Jesus nor any of the apostles has one word to say about it, but, on the contrary, emphasize the necessity of adhering closely to the Word of truth and unselfishly serving it? If, therefore, God did not intend his church to be taught by, of and concerning the great pyramid of Gizeh, then to teach it in the church is a waste of time, to say the least of it. It is more than a waste of time. It is diverting the mind away from the Word of God and from his service. If the pyramid is not mentioned in the Bible, then following its teachings is being led by vain philosophy and false science and not following after Christ (The Watchtower, 11/15/28, p. 344).
You can show the Witnesses this reversal and ask them:
- Why did they say that the pyramid isn’t mentioned in the Bible when the earlier publication taught that Isaiah 19:19-20 specifically refers to it?
- Is the Watchtower saying that from 1881 until 1928, when it was stressing the importance of the pyramid and verifying its chronology by its measurements, it was “being led by vain philosophy and false science and not following after Christ?”
- If so, why would Jehovah choose the Watchtower organization and call it his channel of communication and his faithful and wise servant?
In the same article, the Watchtower also denounced the pyramid as satanic! “The Devil, by the use of the descendants of Ham, set up Egypt, or the land of Ham, as the first great world power. Then Satan put his knowledge in dead stone, which may be called Satan’s Bible, and not God’s stone witness. In erecting the pyramid, of course, Satan would put in it some truth, because that is his method of practicing fraud and deceit” (The Watchtower, 11/15/28, p. 344).
Ask the Witnesses:
- Which organization was it which cited the measurements of the Great Pyramid as proof of the truth of its chronology?
- Isn’t the Watchtower admitting here that for many years it was being deceived by Satan rather than communicating prophetic truth from Jehovah?
- I don’t fault Watchtower writers for making mistakes, but given that they do, help me understand why Jehovah’s Witnesses believe they are following God rather than men when they accept whatever the Watchtower presents as truth.
Have you ever asked a Jehovah’s Witness to explain the Watchtower’s complete reversal regarding the significance of the Great Pyramid? Do you think this could be a fruitful topic?
Share your thoughts in the comments.